Among the projects I’ve got underway are these three bowls that Goldilocks might find just right for pilfered porridge. I made use of a central section of the big cherry log I split up a few weeks ago. I wrote about that process in this post. This is the section labeled “A” in the photo below.
I wanted three bowls of the same size, so I hewed and planed this billet, then laid out the three bowls in a row along its length. After some adze chopping, I cleaned up the hollows with a bent gouge.
Then I sawed them apart before hewing the outsides with an axe. Three stages of that process can be seen below from right to left.
After a little work with a spokeshave, they’re ready to dry.
After drying, I’ll re-carve all of the inner and outer surfaces, including three different texture patterns on the exteriors. If all goes as planned, these will appear again, finished, in a future article. There, I’ll write at greater length about the process, and we’ll see which one turns out “just right.”